Renting a car? Check out these tips before making a reservation:
- Visit Autoslash.com – begin your search at this site (not at the individual car rental sites).
- Look for online discounts and coupons at the above site and elsewhere.
- Carefully choose the size of the vehicle – smaller car with a high MPG are better for the environment (SUVs are one of the worst cars).
- If you are a AAA member, mention that when booking the car.
- Check with your company to see if a corporate rate is offered.
- Consider renting the car at an off airport location – city locations are often cheaper than airport ones.
- If you own a car, check your insurance policy to see what you are covered for in regard to car rentals.
- If you don’t own a car, see if your credit card (e.g. American Express) covers the “Loss Damage Waiver” (LDW) – if it does, decline the LDW offered by the car rental company.
- Get the Non-LDW rental car insurance offered – it will give you peace of mind should you be involved in an accident.
- Declare 2nd drivers when getting your car – if you don’t and there is an accident you will wish you did.
- If you are planning to drive the car into a foreign country, notify the car rental company
- Inspect the car for any damage before leaving the lot.
- Return the car where you picked it up – one way car rentals can be costly.
- Return the car with the tank filled – if not, you may have to pay a surcharge.
- Find the cheapest gas station using GasBuddy.com.
- Ensure you return the car before the agency closes – not all of them are open 24 hours!
Click here for a complete list of travel tip articles.
Got any tips you would like to share? If so, comment below. Thanks.