Love food shopping?
So do I! I really enjoy strolling into the many boulangeries, patisseries, food markets and gourmet shops while in Paris. Here are some of my favorite (and highly recommended) shops in the City of Light.
FOOD MARKETS – Paris has a number of food markets. Here are some of my favorites:
- March d’Aligre – Superb, covered/uncovered food hall little visited by travelers. Located in the 12th arrondissement.
- Place Monge – Small market located on Place Monge in the Latin Quarter. I love getting Pain d’Epice (spiced bread) at this exceptional market. 5th arrondissement.
GOURMET SHOPS – Scattered throughout Paris. My favorite:
- Fauchon – the mother of all French gourmet shops. Find teas, chocolates, jams, etc., at this large shop located near the Madelaine. 8th arrondissement.
BREAD – There are many boulangeries in Paris.
- Poilane – For superb breads. You can even obtain some of their breads in the USA and elsewhere. St Germain (7th arrondissement) and Marais (4th arrondissement).
DESSERTS – A trip to Paris is not complete without having visited a fine patisserie. Here are my favorites:
- Laduree – One of the places for delicate, delicious and not too sweet, Macarons. There is now a Laduree in New York City. Located on the Champs Elysees (8th arrondissement).
- Pierrre Herme – Many Parisiens consider this boutique shop in St Germain to be the best for Macarons as well as other desserts. In January 2012, I purchased a small box of Macarons with such flavors as Cassis and Chocolate with Foie Gras (see photo above). 7th arrondissement.
- Pain de Sucre – A temple to desserts. Some of the most amazing confections I’ve ever seen. A must visit! Near the George Pompideau Centre. 4th arrondissement.
- La Patisserie des Reves – Another high temple to sweets. St Germain. 7th arrondissement.
What would you add to this list? Feel free to comment below or contact me directly. I would love to gear from you.