I love traveling by train. Sometimes I specifically arrange my itinerary in order to travel on certain trains. Here’s a list of my most notable train rides.
- Denver/Salt Lake City/San Francisco, 2011: This 30 hour journey on Amtrak was spectacular. The highlight was traveling through Glenwood Canyon in western Colorado. Slow journey and average food but the scenery made up for it.
- Rochester, NY/Niagara Falls/Toronto, 2010: The highlight of this Canadian Rail trip was passing over the gorge between the USA and Canada as well as the views of lake Ontario.
- Rome/Bologna, 2008: I really enjoyed our meal in the first class car of Trenitalia’s high speed line. Click here to read more about it.
Milano/Cannes, 2008: Traveling along the coast from the Italian border to Cannes was breathtaking! I loved to the views of the Mediterranean sea. Not a high speed line but definitely enjoyable.
- Cannes/Monaco, 2008: The highlight of this journey on SNCF was the arrival at Monaco. The station is inside a mountain. It’s an impressive way to arrive at this filthy rich, city state.
- Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, 2008: Albeit a tourist train these days, this steam engine train was a lot of fun and the scenery was spectacular. It traverses the high mountains of Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. Great for the kids.
- Madrid/Sevilla, 2004: I enjoyed our trip on Spain’s new high speed line between these great cities. Beautiful countryside.
- Paris/London, 2002: This was my first trip on the Eurostar. It was sleek and fast and a lot of fun. Nice scenery outside Paris and London. Well worth every penny!
- Rabat/Marrakech, 2001: Slow but memorable train journey from the capital of Morocco to bustling Marrakech. Nice countryside.
- Hong Kong/Guangzhou, 1998: Fairly fast journey from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. Idling at the border as we went through customs was not so much fun.
- Salzburg/Bolzano, 1997: This route between Austria and Italy via the Alps was incredibly scenic especially since I traveled in winter. Quite memorable.
- Cairo/Luxor, 1987: Very slow moving train, however, it was fun ridging along the Nile River and admiring the desert. My journey back to Cairo was agonizing, however!
- Bombay/New Delhi, 1987: Traveled on the so-called Rajdhani Express between this two bustling cities. Stopping in the middle of nowhere for more than four hours was not pleasant, however. I enjoyed chatting with my fellow passengers – especially a older Sikh man who kept spitting into a bowl while we discussed Indian politics.