I’ve been to New York City on countless occasions. For those of you know me, I am a little obsessed with this city! Here are the highlights of my most recent trip to New York:
Tuesday, 4 Oct 2011
- Arrived in NYC via Amtrak. Cool and rainy day…
- Checked into the Jane Hotel -my favorite, economically priced hotel in NYC ($125/night!). I highly recommend this nautical inspired hotel (it used to cater to sailors).
- Checked out The Met – my favorite museum in NYC. Strolled through the Egyptian, Greek and Roman galleries. Admired the Anthony Caro sculptures on the roof and the view of midtown Manhattan while having a drink.
- Had a very nice dinner with my friend Cathy at Buvette in the West Village. I enjoyed catching up with her while sipping a Rhone wine and eating grilled sardines, a lamb stew and other small plates at this very French “gastroteque”. The highlight, of course, was flirting with Cathy while eating a very delicious chocolate mousse!
- After dinner, we walked back to my hotel in the West Village and had drinks in the very atmospheric hotel bar.
Wednesday, 5 Oct 2011:
- Breakfast at Cafe Gitane – a French/Moroccan cafe in the lobby of the Jane Hotel. Love the croissants, seven grain bread, La Colombe coffee and the house smoothie in this very charming cafe.
- Yoga session at a studio in Midtown
- Walk along the bike path from Midtown up to Upper West Side via Riverside Park. Great walking and bike path!
- Two hotdogs at Gray’s Papaya – the best hot dog joint in NYC (after Nathan’s).
- Subway to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Strolled through this beautiful park on a perfect, sunny day. Also strolled through Park Slope – a neighborhood now popular with the stroller crowd.
- Walk through the Brooklyn Museum of Art. My first visit to this extraordinary museum. I especially enjoyed the Egyptian galleries.n
- Porchetta (Italian style roast pork), Greens and Tuscan White Beans at Porchetta in the East Village. I usually visit this small restaurant every time I go to NYC. Delicious!
- Strolled through NOLITA and SOHO to admire the architecture, etc.
- Stracciatella Gelato at Grom. Excellent Italian styled ice cream.
- Walk along The High Line Park at night. Ethereal as always. Check out my post on this park.
- Breakfast at Cafe Gitane
- Bike ride to the Brooklyn Bridge via the Financial District. Rented an old fashioned Schwinn bike from my hotel.
- Spend some time with the Occupy Wall Street Protestors in Zucotti Park. Enjoyed reading the protest signs
- Lunch at VanDaag – A minimalist, Dutch/Danish restaurant in the East Village. Loved the Cheese Toast and Kale Salad.
- Dinner at Koliba – my favorite Czech restaurant in NYC. Enjoyed a glass of Staropramen beer and a plate of Svickova. Reminds me of summer days at my grandmother’s house.
Friday, 7 Oct. 2011
- Morning walk along the High Line Park
- Stroll through Central Park
- Lunch at Via Quadronna – a favorite Italian restaurant in NYC. Had the “Non ti Scordar di me” sandwich.
- Picked up a box of macaroons at Laduree on the East Side. America finally has an outpost of this venerable French patisserie! Cool website…
- Shopping at Barney’s – where else?!
- Enjoyed a Moroccan Mary at The Jane Hotel. Delicious!
- Savored a slice at Bleecker Street Pizza
Saturday, 8 Oct. 2011
- Stroll through Madison Square Park
- Lunch at Eataly – Cacio e Pepe Pasta, and a glass of Tuscan red wine.
- Train back to DC